17 September 2008

BYU - Helping Students by Not Helping Students

I drive. A lot. And because of how amazing my car is, I love it, except for the commuting associated with my internship.


My anguish over commuting stems from three things:

1) I have to get up at 4 a.m. to get to downtown Salt Lake from Provo,
2) I have a car that may die at any time, and in any place, and could even kill me, and
3) I have to find parking near BYU campus.

Here's an article about the situation from the Daily Universe, BYU's newspaper:

Last Friday, I recieved the following E-mail from BYU admins:

As the last line emphasizes, this is a project that will benefit students. Well, it would have been TRULY beneficial if they had undertaken this massive project DURING THE SUMMER.

During the summer, campus looks kinda' like this:


Photo by Mark Hamilton

Empty.

According to this site, the Spring and Summer Term enrollment is actually on the DEcline, and sits at roughly one-fourth that of Fall and Winter Semesters.

If you're interested in exact numbers, in 2007, there were 10,321 students at BYU for Spring Term, and just 7,563 for Summer. Compare that with the 30,426 for Fall Semester and 29,004 for Winter, and I think we've built a pretty compelling case.

Instead, what BYU has done is disrupt the already tenuous parking situation in the middle of what we have just shown to be the busiest time of the year for BYU. I have a hanging A-lot pass that I'm not supposed to use for things unless they're KSL Radio, and because of the disruption of this parking lot, those A-lot pass holders are forced into other lots too, meaning that there weren't even A-lot spots. And since I'm coming from SALT LAKE to Provo, I don't have time to circle campus looking for a spot. As it is, I was late to my quiz in class.

Boo, BYU. Shame on you. Is it so hard to take care of things like this during summer term when only 24.86% of your student body is in Provo? I think not. Planning like this would make the school's namesake cringe.

No comments: