27 September 2008

Wedded Surprise...

I believe in the traditional family. I believe that marriage is a sacred institution, a bond and a union between God and His children. Marriage should only be between a man and a woman. Basically, what I believe about marriage is perfectly captured in "The Family: A Proclamation to the World":


"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners."

Marriage, when it is gone about correctly, should be the best, the strongest, the most rewarding relationship we have on this earth. I am grateful and feel blessed that mine fits this description.

Among the myriad trends that are threatening this God-ordained institution is one in particular that I would like to mention...

This is the cake that my wife and I had at our reception. It was beautiful, and it tasted even better than it looks.

So why on earth would you want to shove something like this in the face of the person you just married hours earlier? I don't think that shoving food in someone's face is a good way to start off what many people believe is an Eternal marriage. You should conduct yourself with class and dignity, not reduce the most wonderful day of your life to a pseudo boxing match.

Do I think less of people who DO shove cake in eachother's faces at their reception? Yes. It is a harsh reality, but even the people I like the most fall sharply in my list of people I respect. I don't know if studies have been conducted on the subject, but I think you'd find a nice relationship between divorce rates, and people that start off their marriage by shoving eachother in the face in public.

After all, aren't you supposed to be ADULTS to get married?


1 comment:

carolyn said...

Is this picture Lars and Julianne?